Wonderful hobby of smoking

Boater

Stopped about 10 days this time actually I feel pretty good cold turkey no vaping pills drugs nothing it be nice if I could sleep and relax a little but that will come I really hate the insomnia problem

• Like 4

Welcome Boater, 10 days cold turkey, your doing great. The insomnia is a killer but at least here because were pretty global there is usually someone online at any time. Best two bits of advice i can give is to take it one day at a time and to read as much as you can about the addiction. Knowledge is power and you can do this. Let this be your sticky quit..

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Boater said:

Stopped about 10 days this time actually I feel pretty good cold turkey no vaping pills drugs nothing it be nice if I could sleep and relax a little but that will come I really hate the insomnia problem

The sleep disruption is temporary.  The freedom attained by quitting is permanent.

Sail on Boater.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Boater said:

You can do this "Boater" just look at somebody smoking,do they look happy or glad they smoke,no their like every smoker out there thinking DAMN this is a stupid expensive addiction.The Dude that took a dried tobacco leaf,stuffed it in a bowl , lit it on fire ,sucked in the fumes and told his buddies"This is great stuff" should have a good swift kick to the rollers DAILY

• Like 5

KiThank you I know I'm not stupid but I like smoking I don't do drugs I don't care about drinking you might say it's my vice I stopped for 6 months one year two years pick up a cigarette and I'm off to the races again

1 minute ago, Boater said:

KiThank you I know I'm not stupid but I like smoking I don't do drugs I don't care about drinking you might say it's my vice I stopped for 6 months one year two years pick up a cigarette and I'm off to the races again

You don't like smoking "Boater" it;s the nicotine monster running your brain.The rest of your body hates smoking

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Boater said:

Um... Boater, mate... trust me when I say this, and I come from the position of making the exact same statement you just did (smoking was my only vice)... no darling its an addiction, its the nicotine that makes you feel good, not the frickin smoke... AND... I am just like you, I quit for nearly 7 years, 1 smoke was all it took and I was back to a pack a day within a week... I'm doing this quit 1 day at a time because I know I can do 24 hours, so i'm focusing on that, stringing them together and NOPEing like there is no tomorrow because I know if I want to keep my quit I have to really have Not One Puff Ever. 

You can do this, you can beat the addiction, you just need to put in the hard yards and fight like you have never fought before because that b1atch nicotine is so deep in your head she's made you think you need her but ya don't mate. You can do it.

• Like 6

I was hurt very badly car accident on morphine Demerol Valium 4 months detox you throw up and have the runs two three weeks feel like shit but it's over cigarettes on the other hand make morphine and Demerol bubble gum it goes on for weeks months nicotine is nothing to screw around with and the funny thing we did it to ourselves

• Like 1

I think the psychological aspect of the nicotine addiction is the worst. The physical side wasn't so bad but the mind battle is still happening for me. Not as bad as before or in the past but its there. Besides the support here (and over there) I honestly think that the biggest difference with this quit was the amount of knowledge I armed myself with and still read.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boater said:

I was hurt very badly car accident on morphine Demerol Valium 4 months detox you throw up and have the runs two three weeks feel like shit but it's over cigarettes on the other hand make morphine and Demerol bubble gum it goes on for weeks months nicotine is nothing to screw around with and the funny thing we did it to ourselves

Yep motorcycle accident for me,but with opiods you can't just go to the Indian reserve for a pack of oxy or codeine,I beat that and I will beat this nicotine addiction.There is about as much reason for me to put a cigarette in my mouth and lite it,then there is to stick an needle full of heroin into my arm.

• Like 2

Psychological you're right but let's not forget the physical it's hard to believe nicotine is more addictive then morphine Demerol and Valium combined let's not forget the gum sores bleeding teeth stuffed up head sneezing and let's not forget my favorite blurred vision I'm detoxing I go to a hotel stay away from people and let my addiction run its course I've Gotten Good at being stupid

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boater said:

Psychological you're right but let's not forget the physical it's hard to believe nicotine is more addictive then morphine Demerol and Valium combined let's not forget the gum sores bleeding teeth stuffed up head sneezing and let's not forget my favorite blurred vision I'm detoxing I go to a hotel stay away from people and let my addiction run its course I've Gotten Good at being stupid

No you have got good a being an addict and if you like you say "Let your addiction run it's course" chances are very high it will kill you painfully.Cancer is NOT nice

• Like 1

I feel like a zombie that's nervous actually I'm lucky according to the doctors I won't get cancer I'll get nicotine poisoning with organ failure doesn't that sound good too nothing like your organs shutting down one by one

Nothing like good motivation

5 minutes ago, Kevsfreedom said:

No you have got good a being an addict and if you like you say "Let your addiction run it's course" chances are very high it will kill you painfully.Cancer is NOT nice

I am very sorry all,just thinking of my brother who died of cancer 4 years ago,2 days before he died I had to load him on a wheel chair and haul him and his medical gear outside for a friggin cigarette in a flipping snow storm

• Sad 4

Welcome boater and congrats on 10 days free. :)

PS. I'm sorry about your brother Kev :( My dad died of esophageal cancer and had a lit cigarette when the ambulance came for his final trip to the hospital. I guess since the damage was already done maybe they thought why quit now? At least that was the case for my dad.................

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Welcome aboard Boater.  Congrats on the 10 days, you should be beyond the physical WD's now it is time to work on the mental aspects.  Smoking was so ingrained in my life, so easy to do at any and all times and that is what made it hard and makes it so much more difficult than drugs (for me anyway).  It helps to come here and use the site for education, to do the daily NOPE pledge, and to reach to those of us on this site to help you out.

• Like 4

I was a volunteer EMT for 7-8 years I can get myself in an MRI fairly easy blood work a few x-rays I don't like what I see people that smoke two years seem to never really heal properly as for myself I might as well feel good I don't think organ failure is much fun but you pay for your mistakes I don't believe in giving up

3 hours ago, Boater said:

hey darling, I must stop you right here... "but I like smoking"

you need to understand about your addiction to nicotine,

it interferes and steals the 'feel good' receptors in your brain.

The satisfying 'ahhh' moment with a smoke is just because you were crashing and needed to re-up your nicotine levels.

You are an addict.  We are addicts.

Glad you are here, learn all you can about nicotine addiction. 

Education is the biggest tool in the tool box.

Commit to  never having another puff.

Share your experience, it helps keep you keep current with yourself and helps others.

Reward yourself, you are making a fabulous choice to be free of nicotine.

The Significance of Rewards may be helpful to you

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2

Welcome Boater! You've got a nice quit going! I recommend reading  some information found on this site  about the smoking addiction, neuro-pathways -- it really helped me understand how & why just one puff of a cigarette can awaken the addiction.  Sometime ago I quit for over a year. Had the "oh just one puff with my cocktail won't  hurt"...next thing I knew I went back to 1/2-1pack a day! 

• Like 2

we are definitely addicts cigarettes are more addictive then morphine Demerol and Valium combined I know that first- hand a buddy of mine is a chemist he was explaining to me how they use ammonia to freebase tobacco when they say 10 mg it could be actually 42 mg using a gashematocrit.  God bless the tobacco industry working hard to to build loyal consumer's

• Like 2

You can make the decision to never smoke again that is rock solid in your world.

Other people smoking is not about you, it has nothing to do with you.  

The only thing that matters is your choice to never take another puff and deal successfully with your addiction.

Learn more about addiction,  the fantasy and the romance, you will learn,  is ridiculous.

It makes me happy that you are on your way because freedom is friggin delicious, man.

• Like 2