Re-quit

Dragonfly

Hi all,

After 43 years of smoking, I quit December 17, 2015, I was so proud!  This last February I succumbed to the demon telling me, "you've got this.  You can handle a smoke once in awhile.  Maybe you'll lose some weight."  STUPID!  The first month it was a pack, then more.  Now I'm back to hiding from my man, finding reasons to sneak away, paranoid he'll find out.  I told my self today, no more!  But what did i do!  

I had a great support group, but am too embarrassed and ashamed to go back.  So, here I am, will pledge daily, seek & give support, and get this monkey off my back!

Have a good day, or as we say I  Mexico,  que tenga buen día!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dragonfly,

Glad you found the forums here. Welcome on board, we really have a friendly bunch who will offer as much support as you seek out. Sorry to hear that you chanced your arm with the addiction and came off second best, hopefully it is a case of once bitten, twice shy.

You obviously know that you can do this, so back yourself and get back to being a non smoker. I would suggest trying to get beyond that embarrassment and shamed feeling and tapping into that support group you had previously. You won't be anywhere near the first to falter.

Hope we can be of help to you here and catch you around.

• Like 4

Hi dragonfly, i blew a few year quit and thought the same as you. I can have one, started slow before i was back to a pack a day. Just get back on your quit and remember that we are nicotine addicts and as soon as we lose that mind set its just one puff away. So many things can lead us to smoking, its a daily battle for some( even those quit for years). Have a plan how you will handle the triggers and re educate yourself on this nasty addiction . I did the same and tried to hide it but i wasn't fooling anyone ... Good luck and great people here 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm another who threw away a long quit, for me it was nearly 7 years. I'm going well this time and working to make this the sticky one. Basically everything Whisper said is what I would... 1 day at a time, NOPE and read, read, read, everything you can to have all the power over the addiction.

• Like 3

Welcome to QuitTrain, dragonfly.  I'm sorry you relapsed but please remember there is no such thing as "just one cigarette."  Pledge NOPE daily and you will be on your way to a smoke-free life for good.

Stick around here.  Read and contribute.  There is a lot of support and knowledge to be gained here.  You can quit for good this time.

Bienvenido Dragonfly (libélula ?),

Congratulations on your quit today.  

Your old quit is gone, erase those old dates they don't matter anymore. 

Start clean, here and now.

Commit to NOPE.

Take a big deep clean, clear breath of oxygen.

Learn more about nicotine addiction, you needn't be fooled again and you needn't ever feel shame.  

We are simply humans, addicted to nicotine.

Tell yourself the truth, tell your mate the truth.

Call out when you need some help.  Stay close to the board.

Share your story, help others.

Think about returning to your support group, it may help you.

There is no room for embarrassment, we are fighting a deadly addiction !

Celebrate, you don't smoke anymore!

• Like 2

One of the online groups recently crashed and burned. Another one stopped taking new members due to technical probs with the forum. They had a no-relapse policy though so anyone who relapsed was out.

So, Quit Train is the big one right now.

We enjoy trying to help others keep their quit. We do not judge if someone relapses. It is not condoned but you know, it happens.

The only thing we can do is try to do better today than we did yesterday.

• Like 1

Late to this thread but hoping Drangonfly comes back. There's no judgements here. We only wish to help others achieve what we all want which is our permanent quit!

Come back DF and let us help you with your journey to freedom.

Shit you ain't gotta be ashamed if you relapsed.

Just get back on and try again. The only thing i would say is when or IF someone relapses, just try to examine what caused it and avoid that if you can in the future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are all people right? Very good you are here now and you know the drill: not one puff ever. Well, maybe when you are 100 years old, but by that time smoking is so old fashioned and expensive: lol.

Dutchess