What has quitting smoking taught you ?

Sazerac

I've learned.... It's never too late...to make changes....to live life to the full....I'm stronger than I ever thought....

Smoking won't change anything.....I've also learned.....Life is so much better...without that black cloud Boo spoke of .....my shame of being a slave to the nicotine...has gone !!!

I've learned ....I'm Worth It  !!!!!

• Like 10

I learned that smoking in reality is a cruel slavery of all that you are.

Today, after quitting smoking over 6 years ago, I still feel like a happy drunk every day with this beautiful freedom.

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 7

• 8 months later...

Here is one, it is about money -

I wasted $160 in two months on smoking, going through 3 packs a week.

I thought, "$160 could have gone to something more fun or useful".

For me, when I would spend that kind of money on any other luxury/useless things, I would feel strange but when I bought smokes, it was somehow easier to justify. Maybe cause "Oh only about $6 here and there". But then it adds up and is like, "Whoa, THAT was dumb".

So I learned the nicobitch steals slowly so you don't notice til it is in the three figures in weeks. Even if one spends that money on other useless things, it isn't going to kill you.

• Like 3

That even though you are no longer physically addicted to nicotine  the mental side can creep up and still raise it`s ugly head. Happened to me today. The stupid thought that I could have just one and it would not hurt. I did not have one because I know I am a lifetime addict to nicotine. Almost 3 years and you still have the fight. Not nearly as tough as it was but the thought does not completely go away. Perhaps it will someday but regardless the fight is worth it.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

That even though you are no longer physically addicted to nicotine  the mental side can creep up and still raise it`s ugly head. Happened to me today. The stupid thought that I could have just one and it would not hurt. I did not have one because I know I am a lifetime addict to nicotine. Almost 3 years and you still have the fight. Not nearly as tough as it was but the thought does not completely go away. Perhaps it will someday but regardless the fight is worth it.

You are so right, Garry.  The Fight is worth it !

At nearly six years, sometimes, rarely (maybe a time or two a year), 

I get a thought...'gee, ya want a smoke ?'  My immediate and automatic response is NOPE.

NOPE I DO NOT want a smoke.  My NOPE comes from a deep place and harbors no temptation or doubt.  

Time is our friend with NOPE.  It is like a reflex now but, I dare not take it for granted.

The minute that 'stupid thought that I could have just one and it would not hurt'  come into your skull you must root it OUT.

People loose even established quits by not maintaining vigilance so, pay attention to Red Flags. whenever they come up.

I remember, early in my quit,  hearing that quitting smoking is a journey, they weren't kidding.  I am still on the path. It is a good one.

• Like 4