I CRIED in public but I didn't smoke.

Ren

Hey everyone! I have a sad and funny story. On the weekend I went out with a few friends and, admittedly, I drank too much. It happens sometimes. I didn't have enough for dinner and there were interesting things happening. My little stack of snapshots from the night include having a wonderful time dancing, flirting, and popping outside from time to time for chats with new friends. Then when we left the bar around 2am and started walking up the street, I looked around and there were people everywhere, lining up at the food joints or making their way home, and it was like EVERYONE was smoking. All three girls I was with don't hesitate to smoke when they drink, and walking behind them as they acquired cigarettes from people and lit them, I burst into tears! I was very drunk, yes, but it felt like I was being ripped between wanting to have one so badly and NOT wanting to have another one, ever, SO SO badly at the same time. Anyway, my ladies took care of me and threw their smokes away and brought me fries to eat and we sat on this little wall. And then I just felt embarrassed. BUT I ALSO DON'T CARE BECAUSE I DIDN'T SMOKE! And if it took crying about it then I don't care if I acted a bit foolish. Oh dear.

30 Days Today, Ya'll!

image.png.c4559189be9c76246e0cf83201a7e36e.png

Edited by Ren
  • Like 10

Our eyes need watering to help them grow.

To confront nicotine when drinking is no easy chore, 

I had to stay away from it for a while until I really trusted myself and my quit.

I am so glad you didn't smoke and proud of you and your friends for taking this seriously.

• Like 4

Oh ren im sooo happy for you! For me getting through my first few boozy nights out and NOT smoking...thats what has made my quit!!! If i can do that, anything else is easy! And now i can be drunk...and i do not want a fag!!!! Its pretty remarkable. Good for you and really big yourself up. That was a biggie with so much temptation around and weakened resolve with the drink. Getting through that night smoke free, that should make you feel more confident and stronger....you can do this! Youve just proved it! 

• Like 4

It starts as hours without a smoke. Then days. then weeks. NOW you are talking months.

And think of this, that "nicodemon" tried to strike when you were weak - had too much to drink, others were smoking, you were hungry, etc...

And you RESISTED! You beat it even though you were down.

You are now in a position to easily tell the nicodemon to go phuck himself when he tries to get you to smoke at any other time.

More battles may come but you now have the weapons to fight hard.

• Like 3

Good for you, Ren. 

I'm glad you made it through a drinking night without lighting up.  That was really tricky for me early on. 

Congrats on this victory though as it is a big one.  Just continue to keep your guard up in your quit, regardless if you are drinking or not.

• Like 4

This is a good story. I remember the headaches from smoking too much when drinking. Very hard combo. I can't remember all the facts but someone did a study of rats with drinking and smoking.  The mice hit a lever to get more nicotine when they wanted    when on alcohol they smacked the lever a bunch more....so the story goes alcohol removes nicotine from blood causing people to have urges more often.  And a third fact was the two combined to cause something even more addictive than either by themselves    so causing people to smoke more when drinking.  Don't know if any of this is true!

• Like 3

Ren, crying in public was 83rd on the list of foolish things you could have done at the weekend, marginally behind stealing a policeman's hat, but way, way behind having a smoke.

It's good to know your friends have your back.

Brilliant result and well done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"All three girls I was with don't hesitate to smoke when they drink| Those poor girls,still nicotine addicts and you  my dear Ren are beating that monster every day.30 days quit,You are a inspiration to smokers around you,because we all know 99% of smokers want to be ex-smokers. keep up the good work.....Cheers..Kev

Edited by Kevsfreedom
something to add
  • Like 3

On 2018-04-17 at 12:46 PM, Sslip said:

Ren, crying in public was 83rd on the list of foolish things you could have done at the weekend, marginally behind stealing a policeman's hat, but way, way behind having a smoke.

It's funny you mention this because I did get pretty cheeky with some policemen! I remember wanting to yell at them (they're being really annoying with pot in Canada lately because we're months away from legalization and everyone's pushing at the edges of the laws that are still in place until then - ANYWAY) I wanted to yell at them but I didn't want to get in trouble, so this came out of me, dripping with sarcasm - I LOooooVE COPS! DON'T YOU ALL JUST THINK THEY'RE DOING A GReeeEaaaAT JOB? LOOK AT THEM ALL! I JUST LOVE SEEING AaaLL THESE COPS OUT HERE PROTECTING OUR STREETS! 

....I get yelly on tequila. I find it funny because I'm normally a pretty quiet person. :4_joy:

• Like 2