The Drug Dealer!

Whispers

So i was in the mood for a snicker bar, i was in the area of where i used to buy smokes and went to that store for the chocolate. The owner says hey where have you been? Is all ok? Me: All is great i quit few years back! This Jagoff says YOU ALL COME BACK " I SAW RED", to insult me again he says didn't you quit and start again in the past? Now if this guy wants to play asshole i can be a real good one @ that so i said i heard they're doing a sweep for out of state ciggs(they sell virg st tax ciggs at this store in NY). No different than a crack dealer but i knew this already just a reminder from the A-hole, i have more ammo to never smoke again if i ever hit a weak moment.

• Like 8

It's good you got away from that cigarette pusher. I don't know how people can live with themselves making money off of other people's suffering.That includes the cigarette manufacturers and their stockholders and all the middlemen and companies involved in selling. If it weren't already legal there's no way it could be legalized now.  I hope you got your Snickers bar from another place.

• Like 5

Oh i'm serious, obnoxious guy from yemen . I bought the snicker first and he threw his shots after... I had a urge to throw it at him but didnt. normally id laugh at this but  ive been stressed a bit past few weeks so i have 0 tolerance. I felt like dropping a dime on this guy but id be screwing the smokers, even tho id be helping them out with their health that terrorist does sell the ciggs 5.00 cheaper so for a pack a day addict/smoker that 150 ish a month . I wont go there and also think of this jerk if i ever need it. You know after eating that snicker my stomach has been hurting, i should ask the other customers if they also get sick eating there ;)

• Like 1

I quit going to a convenience store all-together that I used to stop by several times a week.

I go in to pay for a tank of gas and a bottle of orange juice.

The store owner is turned sideways reaching for the wall of cigarettes behind him.  "Marlboro Red, Carton?"

"No.  I quit smoking."

"Three pack special $17.00!"

"It's not about the money.  I quit!"

"Marlboro Light?"

"NO!  No cigarettes!"

It worked out for the best.  About a year ago, that station got a bunch of water in its gas tanks.  Cars were breaking down before they could even get back out on the road.  I dodged a couple of bullets there.

• Like 2

I still go to my old Toby (tobbacconist) once a month to buy my pre-pay re-charge because I feel bad that I don't buy smokes off him anymore. He's this little Vietnamese special needs man with a hole in the wall shop selling smokes, cans of drink and pre-pay phone recharges through the window. I've been buying my smokes there for over a decade... when i bought the first card after quitting (about 3 weeks post quit) he commented he hadn't seen me, I told him I had quit and he told me that was good and wished me luck. Each month when I go back to get the new re-charge he tells me what a good girl I am for not smoking anymore and he is very happy for me. They aren't all bad... or i just like being told i'm a good girl.

• Like 7

I remember 20 years ago I quit smoking in my twenties. I was feeling so lonely one night that I rang a friend. I told her I had quit and she said, “once a smoker, always a smoker”. This was very undermining. It played in my mind and when I had that first smoke I was so disappointed but thought “I was a smoker” and couldn’t help do it. I stay away from such people now and won’t let this sort of stuff undermine me now. 

• Like 4

@notsmokinjo, that sounds like an owner who isnt selfish looking at his own point of view. Sometimes we all know the obvious but when we say what we're thinking with an addiction that crosses the line with me. I'm not in denial that i'm an ex nicotine addict , if i was the guy i wouldve said good for you and offer encouragement. I will not get anything from that guy again thats for sure

Stuff like this is good fuel to spin a positive out of it

• Like 1

Like nosmojo (the good girl), I am lucky.

The new americans who own my corner shop are often worried about some of their family still in Egypt.

I worry too because they are super kind and have a graciousness not often seen or heard anymore, really old world.

'We appreciate you', they will say after my transaction.

I worried that my quitting would be a dent in their profits

but, they faffed it off and said they are really proud of me and would never, ever sell me another cigarette.

Maybe the man in Wispers' store knew too well about addiction, 

maybe he doesn't know anyone who has successfully quit,

maybe he witnessed a relative die from a smoke related illness unable to quit,

maybe he has quit trying to quit,

maybe his reaction was connected to his deep despair.

You never know why people say things.  It is usually nothing to do with you. 

Too often, we are in our own little universes.

I've said exactly the wrong thing at times and don't I know it.

Maybe he is just an idiot.

Remember Hanlon's Razor, 'Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.'

At any rate, what people say about our quits shouldn't matter one  whit.

Sure, it's nice to get accolades but, all that matters is our individual commitment to living nicotine free.

Others may not understand but, we do.  

We're addicts and we've put our addiction to sleep. 

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I left there viewing him as a predator taking advantage of a person addiction/weakness. His perception(point of view) is what struck me. Back to how this fool speaks to people to get a better idea .One day years back i saw this women throw milk she was buying at him. I walked in while she was throwing it at him in the am for ciggs, milk all over his counter and he called her a monkey(a black women). He threw her out of the store and was "tight", i had bought my ciggs and left and never questioned him on it(not my biz). Today i found out what that was about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cbdave said:

Gday 

My bet is that he is a smoker himself......

....finds it easy to justifying his own smoking that way.

C

This is so true. I used to hate it when anyone quit when I smoked. It was like it rubbed my face in how bad I was to smoke and not to be able to stop.

• Like 2

It has been mentioned a few times that some smokers get jealous when someone else quits. Anyone CAN quit and there is great reason to do so.

Quitting smoking (or not) is about one thing only - personal responsibility.

Companies that make money off peoples' tobacco addiction are not responsible. Even if they shut down, someone else would be there to take their business.

All you can do is quit for yourself. You cannot depend on someone else to have discipline or block you from buying. YOU have to have it.

In this case, Whispers was faced with temptation and had no problems with KTQ. That is what personal responsibility is about.

For a store owner/clerk, it is best for them to keep their opinions about a customer's purchase to themselves, unless perhaps complimenting them on a choice. No one would mind a compliment about their choices as a consumer.

Upselling should happen only if someone is already buying something related. Maybe like if someone is buying smokes, THEN mentioning a special may be in order.

• Like 3

It is each person's individual choice whether or not to actively make money off of many other people's untimely and painful deaths. it is all about personal responsibility, just as the decision to quit is.

• Like 1

Some like to taunt, others like to dangle the carrot. Either way a total predator imo. I dont know if any or who saw the movie less than zero but Julian suffered from an addiction and at one point in the movie he was trying to clean himself up and his EX dealer was at a party and put the drug right in his face. I wasnt told to smell the cigg in an attempt to lure but a guy like the one i saw yesterday would def get a few to break a quit i'd be willing to bet by manipulating them based on his action with me. I'm strong enough to say no or FU right back. I totally agree that they should keep their opinions to themselves

Total opposite for me, when I bought a pack of my Honey berry cigars I got boo hooed by 3 of the clerks I know Farley well, they even told me that I let them down.  Damn shame what I did.

Edited by Opah

You really would like to do something good, to get him, if you wouldn't go to Jail Like ?

after he asked didn't you stop and restart, I would have like to un zip pull it out and say yes but pissing in public is far more exciting.

Something like that

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Opah said:

You really would like to do something good, to get him, if you wouldn't go to Jail Like ?

after he asked didn't you stop and restart, I would have like to un zip pull it out and say yes but pissing in public is far more exciting.

Something like that

I come from a time that if something was said to you the wrong way you punch them in the mouth. The 70's and 80's and even part of the 90's it was like this. What you said i couldve done in his store with 0 fear of him calling a cop as he sells out of state ciggs and lock me up for pissing but look under his counter thats a big fish there. It annoyed me a bit but i didnt show him that, i vented on here. The thoughts crossed my mind on that guy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whispers said:

A jerk can give you some good fuel, YOU ALL COME BACK! Remember that and NOPE near a breaking point

A lot of quitters do end up relapsing though. The important thing for any one of us is protecting our own quit. To be honest, i didn't expect to last even one month when i decided to quit back in October. But here i am. And look at YOU, 2.5 years quit. Do not get mad if someone says you will "come back", you know better. Your Quit is here to stay. Unshakable.

Think of it like this - anything we are doing or even try to do in life, SOMEone will want to challenge it. If you train with weights or practice martial arts, people talk about someone they know who is 10 times tougher than you. Want to talk about your car being fast? Oh dear gyod, on the web that is worse than talking religion or politics. Some go so stupid as saying, "your mom is a fag" or whatever. Like heavy metal? You soon hear "your mom is a fag who likes Justin Beaver." Want to quit smoking? people scoff.

Point is, people always gotta be sayin something to discourage. YOU know your quit is rock solid. To hell with what others think when they say you will be back.

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

Everything has changed, you gotta learn to be a good asshole to some like they are. Use any word you like and fire away like they do. Twist it flip it just act like them in a situation like this.

People are difficult, that is for sure. The best we can really do is avoid interaction with those we cannot get along with. At places like work where we may have to interact, keep it strictly business. Even if we could knock the crap out of someone we do not like, it would not help anything. As much as we would LOVE to beat some ass.

You are going through a rough patch in life right now, or sso it seems when you say your mood is not good lately. Whatever it is though, it will soon pass.