I keep smoking a cigarette...in my dreams

Ren

I've seen this mentioned in a few other posts, but I keep smoking in my dreams. It's so real that when I remember the next day I panic for a second before I remind myself that I did not, in fact, smoke yesterday. In the dream I am conscious that I haven't smoked in a long time and I take the cigarette knowing full well that I'm ruining my quit. And then I enjoy the shit out of it. I also have a recurring dream problem...I'll have the same (or very similar) dream for weeks on end. Has anyone had this problem and possibly find anything that helps? I hate feeling like my last smoke was yesterday, every day. I guess this is just part of being addicted to nicotine. 

• Like 4

I only had this a couple of times in my quit, so can't help with any advice in anything that may be able to assist in preventing a recurrence.

Just to say though this is a fairly common occurrence, so try just to accept it for what it is and know it is part of the healing process.

• Like 4

Addiction addled our bodies, our brains, our psyche, our trust in ourselves.

Lots of quitters have similar dreams to you. 

These dreams can be frightening and disturbing, especially now when you really need some rest from it all.

They will abate, the longer you distance yourself from Nicotine.

Maybe, you would find some relief in YouTube guided meditations before sleep,

or learn and practice guiding yourself into your safe place.

Believe me, soon you won't be thinking or dreaming about smoking/not smoking as much.

True delights will take their place,  you are in the grunge of it right now.

Pamper yourself, you are doing such important inner work.

• Like 4

Ren you can take control of your dream, you know this dream now very well and when it comes again remind yourself in the dream you don't smoke.

When you go to bed close your eye and remember the smoking dream only this time when the cigarette comes in you mentally say Nope I don't smoke, try to relive the dream as many times before you fall asleep.  you will be able to say NOPE I your Dream. 

• Like 1

Smoking dreams are not so bad. It is like you get some of the satisfaction of smoking but with none of the consequence. So basically like having your cake and eating it too.

Smoking dreams are common enough really. I remember having them long before i even started.

If someone is worried those dreams could cause relapse - I would say doubtful. We do plenty in our dreams that we could not nor would not in waking life.

EDIT - I know we are suppose to freak out at the thought of smoking and all that but personally - I enjoyed the feeling of smoking (just didn't like the mess it created). My biggest reason for quitting is cause i was worried about my future health. After weighing the enjoyment VS prospect of an early death, I knew i had to quit.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Like 3

I never remember my dreams so it's not an issue for me but I have heard it's pretty common. I'm guessing that it's your brains natural reaction to quitting something that has been such a huge part of your everyday life for years and years. How long have you smoked? 2 years, 5 years, 20 years?? Every day for those years your brain has recognized your smoking routines, even if you aren't aware of it at the time. Suddenly you stop all those routines but your brain needs time to re-adjust to your NEW routines. When you sleep, your brain goes on auto-pilot and guess what? It's remembering your old routine. That's my take on it anyway.

• Like 1

I still have smoking dreams from time to time.  They usually feel like nightmares, especially right after I wake from one.  I think it is common for many ex-smokers.

I just tell myself there is nothing I can really do about my dreams but as long as I stay smoke-free in the awake world, I am ok.

• Like 2

I'm up to 9 days cold turkey no vaping no gum no patches I've done this before I know it's the only way to go and in 2 or 3 weeks out feel good again but last night the dreams about smoking started Vivid with color sound even feel the smoke and smell it aren't cigarettes wonderful you wake up sweating your eyes burning and tearing and we can't forget the tinnitus what a great way to wake up