Ice Hockey ... Need some splaining please

notsmokinjo

OK, no news flashes but I'm a bit if a sport tragic..blame my dad, anyway.... I have a footy team (The Saintas) ..... I have a UK footy team (Southampton, even if we get relegated).... all me Aussie sports covered, I even have a USA baseball team .... But I dont have a gridiron team (and don't want one, 4 footy codes is too.much don't ya think)/and I don't have an ice hockey team and I think I do want one...

1. Is there a hockey team that hasn't got a very good history in winning the premiership of the cup thingy? I dint want an all start team but i want that battler team thats always there, its juat dieant win the big prize much or at alll but has die hard loyal fans. Preference is given to teams wearing red black and white, or royal blue and red... Or names like the saints, the colts or the mustangs.... I know not asking for much am I.

2. Now with the players uniforms  I'm guessing the little c on their lect chest is for Captain... But wot the Frick is the A for??? .....is it for ar5ehole??? Cos lots of them seem to end up in the sin bin.

LA Kings have won Stanley Cups in the not too distant past I believe. If you want the "Poster Child" for hockey failure over the past 5 decades .... go with the Toronto Maple Leafs :3_grin:

One of the original 6 NHL (National Hockey League) teams and won tons of Stanley Cups (the holy grail of hockey) over the years before league expansion. Since 1967 (their last Stanley Cup win) ..... nothing :40_rage:

This pic pretty much says it all!!!!

im7c01.jpg

Oh and the A on a jersey stands for Assistant Captain. They usually have a couple of assistant captains on each team. It's really just a status symbol though. The captain is supposed to be the leader in terms of rallying the players.

If you want to get Bakon going .... trash talk the Pittsburgh Penguins. Maybe ask, who's this guy "Cry-Baby Crosby"? Then .... run and hide :15_yum:

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh and I forgot to mention, they sell the place out every year, despite having nothing but a losing record and the absolute highest ticket prices in the entire league. This year for the playoffs, which have just started, tickets went on sale this past week. Only 96 tickets were available to the public out of about a 20,000 seat stadium. The season ticket holders have first refusal on the rest and scooped them ALL up.

If you have more money than brains and want to take a trip to Toronto Canada next Monday, I can get you a pair of tickets in a so, so seating area 24 rows up from the ice surface toward one end of the arena for $1,124.00 EACH (plus tax of course). Parking will run about $60.00 so best just take a taxi and if you want a beer $16.00/each. Hot dog is only about $12.00 so .... have 2 :)

If there's two going, you should be able to do it for around $2,500.00 for the night out :4_joy:

Guess where I'm NOT going Monday!!

• Haha 1

@Whispers thanks mate... that helped a bit.... ok... I have made 0 selections... but I think its down to 2... maybe

My requirements:

1. Not the powerhouse best of the best cos only wankers decide to follow a team when its at the top.

2. Not be complete crap because we all like to win every now and then.

3. If possible uniforms in red, black & white... if not red and blue would be ok.

4. If possible be called the Saints.

5. Under no circumstances have a black and yellow uniform or be called the Tigers.

Right... so for footy (aussie rules) I follow the Saints, aka St Kilda or the Saintas. They are one of the original 6 (which I now know ice hockey has also) and have been playing in the AFL (originally VFL before our 'expansion') since the 1890s.... they are frequent cellar dwellers and have only ever won the grand final premiership cup once, in 1966 before I was born. In my lifetime they have finish dead last more than any other club. They have made the grand final 3 times since I was born... one of these was a draw so it had to be re-played the next weekend and we were smashed. I chose to follow this team as a 5 year old because expansion started and our family team was moved from south Melbourne to Sydney... dad said we had to barrack for Carlton now and I refused because I didn't know where carlton was and st Kilda was next door to south Melbourne and nearly the same colours... they were so crap in the 80s dady thought it would last a season but over 30 years later I am still there.

OK... so I've given up on getting a colour match, I thinking I have it down to 2...

a) St Louis Blues.... they have Saint in the name... their colours aren't a match.... they have gone the longest without a cup same as my saints.

b) Toronto Maple Leaves .... no name match, no colour match.... but original 6 and they have been waiting nearly as long as my Sainta's have.... So have been waiting 1 year less than my boys and if you reverse 67 you get 76 .... hmmmm.

Edit: The braves were looking good cos they had the colours and are original 6... But they are too successful in recent years and it would be douche to start following them.

I will be chewing off my right arm before I barrack for he Pittsburgh penguins or the Bruins cos they fail the colour test.

So... Do I really need to ask@bakon to explain what the deal is with crybaby Crosby seeing as I ain't ever gunna choose to barrack for shitsburgh cos they wear the crapiest colour combo on earth? Plus if the teams captain is referred to as crybaby and Cindy wot sort of hopes does the team have.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playoffs... Wot the????

So how the hell do the play offs work???? Best of 7... Then is another best of 7 until you get to just 2 teams... Then they gave the real playoff???? Is the number of games linked to revenue greed?

Our footy system is way better, 1 game, ya loose ya out.

• Like 1

^^ OK so have I got this right....

There are two comps (sections/conferences) that have a home and away season.. These conferences are also split in 2(?)... At the end of the home and away season the top 3 from each division PLUS 2 wild cards from each conference (wild cards can be from the same division) go into a new playoff tournament... So there are now 16 teams, 8 from each conference, ...

Part 1 sees 8 x best of 7 series being play .... With the 8 winners going to part 2... And so on playing 7 game best of a until there are only 2 teams left who play another best of seven to see who wins the cup.

Is that it?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notsmokinjo said:

@barry suggested I follow Vegas but they fail on the colours, and the newness (haven't earnt there stripes, the johnny come late lies) and the douchiness of jumping on a band wagon.

This article did not help me choose...

The article was to answer this ? .... 1. Is there a hockey team that hasn't got a very good history in winning the premiership of the cup thingy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whispers said:

The article was to answer this ? .... 1. Is there a hockey team that hasn't got a very good history in winning the premiership of the cup thingy?

No your article was good... got me to 2 teams... i meant this article that i forgot to post:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-one-reason-to-root-against-every-team-in-the-stanley-cup-playoffs/ 

• Like 1

Just now, notsmokinjo said:

No your article was good... got me to 2 teams... i meant this article that i forgot to post:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-playoffs-2018-one-reason-to-root-against-every-team-in-the-stanley-cup-playoffs/ 

OK, as far as Vegas theyre the best expansion team in all of sports. My team (Islanders) arent in it so im rooting for history or an underdog/team to breal a history of losing like the cubbies did in baseball

• Like 2

I get that, sort of why I want a team like ice hockeys equivalent of the Cubbies, seeing as my footy team is the footy equivalent of the Cubbies... only worse, my team was so bad at the turn of the previous centuary a judge sentenced someone to jail until the Saintas won a game and he was in prison for nearly 4 years.

7 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

I get that, sort of why I want a team like ice hockeys equivalent of the Cubbies, seeing as my footy team is the footy equivalent of the Cubbies... only worse, my team was so bad at the turn of the previous centuary a judge sentenced someone to jail until the Saintas won a game and he was in prison for nearly 4 years.

Caps never won a cup and toronto drought is 50 years.  Either a good choice for your liking

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Caps never won a cup and toronto drought is 50 years.  Either a good choice for your liking

It looks like it might have to be Toronto seeing as they were already on my short list... caps have better colours oh now I have 3 teams to consider... (cos this is the team, not just for this Stanley Cup...I have spent too much time learning hockey off the internet this week not to follow this through)... so the shortlist is:

1. St Louis Blues (not in the play offs this year, but not really relevant to my selecting process)

Pros: They have waited longer than any other team to win the cup... they have never won the cup....  I could have a hockey saints to go with my footy and soccer saints.

Cons: I'm not a huge fan of their uniforms but at least its not black&yellow.... they aren't of the original 6 but were part of the first expansion. 

2. Toronto Maple Leaves 

Pros: Original 6.... Have waited since 67 to win a Cup (my Saints won their one and only premiership in 66... so its samesy-ish)... 

Cons: Not a huge fan of their uniforms but at least its not black&yellow

3. Washington Capitals

Pros: Have never wont the cup, colours are the best of the 3 (my second favourite colour combo for a sport team... hey don't be hating I'm a chick, colours are important) but I can get over any colour combination except black&yellow or Yellow&brown or red,navy&yellow).

Cons: Considering they have never won the cup, the are clearly from a later expansion than St Louis... I'm not really feeling much love for them... I mean if they were the last battler in a fight I'd pick them to barrack for but... mmm... 

Fruck I hate making decisions... 

• Like 1

But expansion clubs aint earned their dues... you need to feel the pain of disappointment before success... Vegas have yellow (gold) and black in their kit so they are out... regardless of anything... black and white.. mehe makes me think of the most hated club in the AFL... but they might be a bit too successful for me in recent years and well Kings, seriously you guys had a war to get rid of kings and then ya call a sport team that... might have to draw something out of a hat here.... noones really selling me on anything....

Still thinking either Totonto or St Louis.... 

Looks like game 7 for this series Leaf VS Boston. Leafs did well to get this far considering they were down 3 games to 1 earlier in the series. They are playing in Boston though so ........... I wouldn't be betting real money on the Leafs!

Hey! Was that you I saw the other night in the crowd?

2015-03-05_20_46_46.0.gif

• Haha 2