Big Trigger

Rosewothorne

So one of the things I always did was smoke a cigarette or two before a meeting, especially a meeting I am leading. I get a little nervous before the meetings and cigarettes help me cope...that is my thinking. I have the first meeting since I quit in less than an hour and my heart is starting to pound and all of the sudden I've tears in my eyes for some reason unbeknownst to me. Seriously? I have no cigarettes in the house; there may be - no there are a few smokeable butts in the trash...how disgusting is that to consider? I know that I don't need one; it doesn't help with stress and it causes more...that's a scientific fact. But this is a big crutch that I've relied on for forever and I'm going to do without. I had a plan earlier but it's completely escaping me. I know it's a short notice SOS and I hate asking for help but I may need some help right now. So if anyone is out there a few words or distraction suggestions because I feel fresh out drawing a blank and I'm starting to get a headache. Good grief. An hour ago I felt really good about this and not making a big deal of it and now I'm starting to panic. Talk about a big deal. ARGH. 

I'm just repeating I can do this. I can do this....

• Like 1

Yes Rose you can do this, you have the right attitude.  Keep your mind on the goal, do some deep breathing techniques, drink some cold water.  When you are finished with the meeting reward yourself and realize that you are strong

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rose, you're doing great by posting for help. Deep breaths. ... What I did was used my air cigarette for the first few months of my quit. I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking I was smoking a real one. You may want to try that?

• Like 2

Also people use blowpops, tootsie pops as a crutch when you get that anxious feeling/crave for something.. We did it for so long reaching for the cigg in those moments we just gotta learn to replace it and fight off the thoughts

• Like 3

Hope your meeting went well Rose.  You got lots of good advice so I won't add to that but I will say that every time you do something without a cigarette it gets easier and easier.  Congrats on getting over the hump and for posting!  

• Like 5

My meeting went fine...i talked too fast at first but then it was great. Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I totally freaked out and couldn't remember what I was supposed to do. When the tears came, I knew I was in trouble; I don't cry easy. I can do anxiety, but that was about 20 minutes of panic. At least, now I know what to do when it happens again: breathe deep, drink water, "smoke" a pen or a straw, get some hard candies or gum or something. I did have my before and after meeting pen and straw. LOL. I'm so glad there are people who can understand that and not judge it.

I don't have to or need to smoke to lead a meeting. WOOHOO! Thanks again for talking me off the ledge. 

• Like 12

Glad you made it through the crisis Rose.  I always found that cussing out the crave helped me. "I'm stronger than you, you little %$&#!!!!!!" 

The first several months I made truck drivers sound like Mother Teresa.  :36_flushed:

Keep that great quit!

Edited by BKP
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I am so glad you kept your quit,  I know you must be ecstatic.

You are garnering your power and will beat other bumps too,

reward yourself !  Really reward yourself !

You are nicotine free !  You don't smoke anymore !

• Like 3