Random massive craves

tocevoD

As the title says this is the current happening in my quit. 3 months and 10 days down the line and out of nowhere I'm getting what I would say are amazingly strong urges. I feel in control. I feel able to fight it. So many reasons to stay quit. I'm just surprised at the strength of the urges after all this time.

Did anyone else get this at the 3 month mark? The urge just to start up all over again? Do the urges go away after any length of time?

• Like 2

Hi tocevoD, what you're going through is totally normal. This addiction is going to rear its ugly head here and there maybe for years. But the first year's by far the hardest. I still get craves at almost two years but they're so weak it's easy to look past them. You'll get there too. I promise. I found reading the post about no man's land really helpful so maybe you will to 

• Like 3

I'm about a month ahead of you and yes I know what your talking about. Its so frustrating when it hits because things had been eased off for a while, you think the worst is gone then bam... Crazy, cravings... I had a whole day of it constantly. It eases up... I can't give you a when but it seemed for me it was as sudden as it started. I still get cravings and the oh let's have a smoke thoughts but they are more annoying than anything. I'm tipping they will pop back up from time to time and I'm prepared but I'm just doing this 1 day at a time, so far today us good.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, tocevoD said:

As the title says this is the current happening in my quit. 3 months and 10 days down the line and out of nowhere I'm getting what I would say are amazingly strong urges. I feel in control. I feel able to fight it. So many reasons to stay quit. I'm just surprised at the strength of the urges after all this time.

Did anyone else get this at the 3 month mark? The urge just to start up all over again? Do the urges go away after any length of time?

I didn't experience this but I know Jetblack did. The same as you, right at the 3 month mark and she had said up to then, her quit had not been all that challenging for her, which made it all the more surprising to her I think.

Battle the craves using all the tools you have gathered so far in your quit and you will be fine. It WILL get better for you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tocevoD said:

tocevoD

Answer to 1st question:  Hell yes!

Answer to 2nd question:  You bet!

Answer to 3rd question:  Everyone is not the same, but for me, the urges did completely go away.  Took quite a bit of time, but in the end, it was worth every second of discomfort.

At times like this you need to redouble your commitment to NOPE and focus as much as possible on all the benefits you've achieved and will continue to achieve.  You're doing great.:91_thumbsup:

• Like 2

What you are going through is totally normal and also why it is important to remain prepared for sudden out of the blue urges. My last intense session was paradoxically on the one year anniversary of my quit. Since then there have only been mini-episodes and nothing super intense. Hang in there and be reassured that these urges will surely go away.

• Like 2

Oh dear God, did craves ever hit for me at the three month mark. It did not help that i was scrap booking some old magazine pages but old mags were chock full of cigarette ads.

My craves before then had been pretty tame. Easy to ignore really. But three months came and this happened - my nicotine receptors spoke up, demanding nicotine. It sounded like this -

"Alright you lazy stupid b****, enough of this s***! You are getting in that POS you call a car, going to the store, opening your purse, and buying some G.D. cigarettes! F*** this stupid "KTQ BS, we ain't got time for it. We are tired of sitting here starving while you sit around and feel proud of your stupid Quit. Who cares about you or your f******* lungs!? Hurry the f*** up and go NOW!"

Oh they were fuming! They were speaking in a manner that would make the devil blush. Screaming, yelling, cussing, throwing things, punching, kicking, meltdowns..."

My Quit had been easy up to that point. But at three months, it got harder than hell. Somehow though, I resisted. Just one measily-ass puff would have got me hooked again I imagine.

You are in a huge battle right now, do NOT let the receptors win. The only way to beat them is to let them starve. Say, "Hey receptors, guess what you get for dinner? NOTHING HA HA HA HA"

So anyways - it took probably a few days of this BS, maybe 3 or 4, and all was calm again. yeah there are still craves but nothing maddening.

Just REALLY be careful of the receptors trying to negotiate. "I can quit again later. Just one won't count/hurt. Others smoke more than me but are OK." We all know it is bull.

Look for real here - you are over three months quit. You are KICKING ASS! KEEP IT UP!

• Like 1

Yes, yes and yes. I have been surprised a number of times about my urges so far into my quit. I figure if I keep going they will go too. Occasionally I post here when it feels a bit too much. 

As as long as we don’t smoke we are winning. A crave has no power/consequences unless we act on it. Just like an angry thought. There’s big difference between having a thought and acting on It. 

Edited by Giveintowin
  • Like 1

Hey TocevoD, how are you doing buddy? I remember something like this happenong at the 2 month mark in my previous quit, but like someone mentioned everyone has a different mental clock. It could be your brain reacting to subliminal triggers. 

I am really glad that you are in control, however if you ever feel vulnerable, suck on an icecube or bite down hard on it. Helps with the crave.

TocevoD as to your 3 questions I can only say YES to all of them.  It seems that the cravings come out of nowhere and they are stronger than the last several weeks.  I believe that much of what is said in the previous posts are very true.  I also think of two things that lead to these cravings is:

1.  The Quit is no longer new, it is starting to become a new normal and the addict in you is starting to say "hey, just have one or two, you have quit to this point, it will show that you can make this"-- this is a lie because before you know it you are back to your old habit.  You have to be on guard especially hard at this time.

2.  I have become accustomed to all the many triggers that set up a crave and have beaten them --- When I wake up, with coffee, during a long drive, looking for a reason to relax, before bed and this list goes on.  Now the triggers that set me up are some of what is mentioned above, triggers that did not happen every day or every week -- bad news, a really bad day, a major event in your life (good or bad), planning a trip or vacation (I cannot believe how much smoking was a factor in planning a vacation)-- anyway those special times.  ( I had a situation similar to JetBlack's and had read posts from that time and it helped me realize that this happens  and can be overcome)

Right now I just focus on the quit one day at a time, do the NOPE pledge, come here and read, and now most importantly I look at the positives that quitting has benefited me to this point.  I remember still very vividly why I quit and how I felt the week before I quit.  At this point I do not want to go back -- I want to enjoy all of the freedom that has come of this-- KTQ!!!

Edited by Martian5

Hi Toc. Yes can totally identify with very intense cravings around the 3 month mark. I think the no man's land topic is really helpful. And also there is a topic about  3 months being a change of season which may bring triggers...i quit in winter and we're now in spring/summer, and triggers include sitting out in the garden etc. 

I was surprised too how intense the cravings are, but just keep strong and i found re reading my quit reasons helped.

Well done, 3 months is fantastic.

• Like 1