Whole 30

OK guys.  I've been really good with exercise but I'm feeling like I need a reset with food.  I do eat pretty clean the vast majority of the time but my metabolism is shot and I'm feeling kinda stuck.  I've read a lot about it and have decided to give the Whole 30 plan a go.  It's an elimination diet where you cut out all potentially inflammatory foods (and drinks) including sugar and sweeteners, all forms of dairy, most legumes and all grains.  What you're left with is protein, vegetables, "good" fats (olive and coconut oil, ghee) and fruits (not too much).  Nothing processed, no additives of any kind.  Just real, whole food.

I'm hoping this plan may have a positive impact on my metabolism and digestion but the main draw for me is the hope that it will reduce (or eliminate- there are testimonials to that effect) my rheumatoid arthritis inflammation.  My dream is to put the disease into remission so I can go off my medications, which (thank God!) they do work for me but they are pretty heavy duty and if I can do without them by changing my diet, I'm game.

So today is day 1 of 30.  Has anyone else tried Whole 30?  How was it for you?!?

• Like 3

What happens when you go back to your normal diet tho? Does your metabolism go to hell in a hand basket again or is the idea that the 30 days on the diet jump-starts your metabolism again and it keeps going even after the diet stops. I think dieting would be harder for me than quitting smoking. I have never had to even give a seconds thought to what I eat and I never gained a bit of weight. Been the same weight since before I was 20 until I quit smoking. It's been a race to fatty-land ever since then. I bet I have gained 5 or 10 lbs ..... maybe more. It's not going away on it's own :43_slight_frown:

• Like 1

Hi PT, sorry to hear you are struggling a bit but hey all fad diets are like that from my experience.  I had to click back onto this thread just so I could have a look at what you are eating. Meat, fruit and vegetables and some fats.  Can you eat all veg like carby ones potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes? Boy I would miss eggs and milk. And grains. If you need to amend the diet slightly I would just do that, no point being miserable for 30 days.  And a slight adjustment might be all you need to make yourself feel much better. What have you been eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner? 

• Like 1

hey @PeaceTrain i don't know much about the whole 30 diet, but I'm on a really restricted diet for the next 2-3 weeks for some medical tests. I have more things I can't eat than I can. I'm on day 5 and am struggling a bit too. Mine is a Low Iodine Diet (yay the thyroid) so i can have rice and oats but no other grains, no eggs, no dairy, no soy, only almonds or walnuts and only a small amount a day, no green leafies, no legumes, no fish or shellfish (i eat this 3-4 days a week so thats biting), no bread, no iodised salt and because of the laws here about iodizing salt that means I have to rule out any pre-prepared anything, no cauli, no broccoli, only 170g of meat per day... its great fun isn't it. We can be miserable together.

• Like 1

How is this going for you? I've not heard of Whole 30 but it sounds like Paleo? I did eat Paleo for a six week cross-fit challenge. We were allowed one day of "cheat" per week. I did lose weight, more than I intended, but I also had more energy, less puffiness, less GERD/digestive issues, and I recall that my skin and hair were healthier. I did an early morning cross-fit class and I do believe that with the diet changed or kick started my metabolism. After about two months I began to incorporate dairy and the grains and the other foods back into my diet. It was gradual and in moderation so I didn't gain the weight back right away. But there were other life factors happening to me that most likely impacted my weight loss (about 10 more pounds than I needed and doctor said, NO). 

• Like 1