I Don't Have to Lie Anymore

Remember back when you were a smoker and you would go to the doctor or dentist and they would ask if you smoked and -without a doubt- you would fib about how much you really smoked?

"Yeah, I smoke, but only a few a day".

Now that I think about it, the only time I was actually truthful with my doc tor about how much I smoked was when I went to get a prescription for Chantix. I think it made quitting seem like more of a big deal if I was quitting a pack a day habit, rather than just a few a day. A bigger accomplishment.

Anyway, I was at the optometrist the other day and the tech asked if I smoked and it was so cool to just answer no. No lies, no fibbing.

Just, no.

It was pretty awesome.

That is all. :)

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, jillar said:

It is cool. I have to say though that I never lied about how many I smoked I figured what's the use right?!

I always felt guilty about smoking, so I think I felt it necessary to lie about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JimHannoonen said:

I always felt guilty about smoking, so I think I felt it necessary to lie about it.

I always felt guilty too so I lied about smoking all the time...to doctors, friends, family members, etc. 

Looking back, I realize my lies were fooling nobody.

Life is much better now.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4

I didn't bother lying about it either ...although I had an agreement with my dad, if he didn't smoking see me smoking he could pretend I wasn't smoking so family functions I'd have to sneak off to hide and smoke...frucking mental...but no more, that's doneski.

• Like 4

It’s good to not have something to be ashamed of like smoking. 

I never lied to my doctor, however. That’s an individual personality thing. The shame is common. How we all operate is different. 

Edited by Giveintowin
  • Like 1

I think the professional people (Dr. -  Dentist and what ever) expect people to under-state the amount they smoke or drink therefore, if you are honest when asked by them, they figure you smoke or drink twice or three times what you are telling them so probably best to lie - by at least 1/2 ........ if not more :91_thumbsup::91_thumbsup:

Honest Doc .......I'm just a social drinker!

2ise1l1.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimHannoonen said:

This might sound weird but I think it is cause some of us never really thought of ourselves as "smokers". Like we were somehow different or special.

But yeah, early in my quit I ended up in the hospital over a skin infection on my leg. When asked if i smoked, i said "ex smoker".

At the VERY least, we don;t have to listen to that tired-ass lecture about how we need to quit.