Quit Smoking Experiment

gary336

Hi, I'm a 4th year product design student and a smoker and currently working on a project based around the idea of quitting smoking. I'm looking for 2 smokers as part of a quitting smoking survey to study on the effects of quitting as part of a social pair as opposed to an individual experience. The study will consist of a group message shared between 2 participants, which would take place over the course of a week with a before and after survey. Please feel free to email me with any queries- garywong336@gmail.com

2 hours ago, gary336 said:

Hi Jillar, I think I worded it wrong, I'm looking for people who are currently attempting to quit.

We are all still attempting to quit. There isn't really a point in time when any of us can say " That's it - I have now successfully quit for ever!" Perhaps if you could give us more specifics on what you want and what you are trying to accomplish, people might be able to determine if they can help you.

For example:

1. People who have started their quit attempt within the past .... day, week, 2 weeks or whatever.

2. I want the 2 people to be no more than 1 day apart, 1 week apart (or whatever) in their quit dates.

3. I want to record messages from each person to the other to determine what quit smoking symptoms they are both experiencing.

4. I want to determine the differences in individual's reactions to what they are experiencing.

5. I want to determine what quit smoking products people are or are not using and how effective any products might be for the individual.

Something like that maybe, although not necessarily those specific details. Then people could then decide whether they can help you or not.

From my own experience, the first month of a person's quit is the most dramatic in terms of quit symptoms experienced and the effect those symptoms have on an individual's daily life. Also, this period (1st month) probably has the highest relapse rate overall at least from what I have observed.

• Like 2

This is funny… 

Overheard my wife on the phone with her sister telling her that I quit smoking. I looked over at her and said, “I am quitting“. I quit every day. Yeah, my last cigarette was January 5 but  sometimes it seems like January 5 was just a few days ago

Its frame of mind isnt it. Im definitely in the im quit brigade and not the attempting to quit. Each to their own. But sorry OP im in the wrong category to help you but sounds like there are a few here attempting to quit so you may get the help you asked for.