Nicotine Gum

marie-quit

My quit date is April 2nd. I am thinking of using nicotine gum at the beginning of my quit. I am currently dealing with depression, anxiety and panic attacks and was thinking that using nicotine gum to help might be an ok idea. I am not sure I have the fortitude to quit cold turkey. I have very little emotional strength right now and smoking is my emotional crutch. Of course I will have to then quit the gum later. Anyone use nicotine gum while quitting that can provided advice ect?

• Like 3

Hi marie, nice to meet you, im quit 148 days. I used patches and lozenges this time and doing great. But i have used the gum before too. I couldn't quit without using nrt so i think you are doing the right thing opting for it. So you have your quit date. I would spend my time just reading up all about the damage smoking does. But also how your body begins to recover itself. That was really important info for me to imbed in my mind. And read read read everything about quitting, addiction, coping stuff etc. Just drill it all into your head. Thats what i did and im having a great quit with really no problems. Basically educate yourself. I knows it scary but you can do this, you just need to get your head round it. 

• Like 7

Do what ever you have to do to quit and stay quit. No matter what you use, there will be work and self discipline involved but, if you want this badly enough, it is totally doable. There are many of us here that have done it. Try and get your mind into the right spot to celebrate the benefits of quitting rather than focusing on the challenges of quitting. A lot of this is just that ........ mindset :) Look forward to seeing you around. Lean on this community for support. It really helps being close to people going through the same thing. The more you give to this forum, the more you will receive back without even realizing it. 

• Like 6

Hi marie-quit, congratulations on deciding to take your life back :) We have lots of successful quitters here who have used some form of NRT, including gum. There is no size fits all so do what works for you :)

• Like 4

Hi and welcome aboard...

You can do it...believing in yourself is the first step...being smoke free is the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself...

As been said above ,spent the time till your quit date ,reading all you can ,watching all joels videos...you will find tons of information to help you on your journey...

Looking forward to getting to know you better

• Like 3

Hi @marie-quit congratulations on your choice to quit. There are quite a few of us who have or do use NRT gum to help in the early days. I agree 100% with Weegie read and watch everything.

OK.. I am 4 months smoke free and 6weeks NRT free. Firstly while I have anxiety and panic attacks I am not medicated, if you are medicated I suggest seeing your doctor as doesages of meds may need changing during your quit. So honestly, the first few weeks are hard but by about the 10 week mark I had noticed a huge improvement in my anxiety. So once I made the decision to quit I set a plan for how long I was allowed to use the gum and how I would use it. I was a heavy smoker (+20 a day) and so I started the gum on 4mg...but even still I would only allow myself 6 a day, I would gave normal gum in between and I would wait as long as I could until i had the first chewie if the day. After a week I switched to 2mg same rules, 6 a day max, hold off on that first one as long as I could. I had a plan to allow myself to use NRT for 3-6 months with a decrease in the # a day max on a regular schedule... Thing was I was using it less and less and for me, halfway threw month 2, I realised I hadn't had one in 4 days so I handballed what I had left and have been nicotine free since. The first week or 2 post NRT the anxiety was a bit more like it had been during smoking but now its the best its been in years. The 2nd biggest tip is everyone's quit is different do wot works for you because wot might work for one might not work for another, do what works for you. There are always peeps around here who have experienced what you are going through and will be able to help. 

The single biggest bit of advice I have, take it one day at a time. Focusing on 24 hours smoke free is much less daunting than a lifetime but all those 24 hrs add up and soon you will look at a calendar and say wow there are a 100 smoke free days.

Best wishes for the strength and determination to achieve this.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 7

You will be surprised, Marie, at how good and strong and sturdier you will become when you quit smoking.

The Freedom will spur you on and each day your confidence in yourself will grow.

We are here to help. Listen to everyone ^^^^^ and have faith in yourself because, YOU CAN quit smoking.

• Like 1

Marie, the gum can be an invaluable tool at the start of your quit in order to eliminate the physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal while you get used to not smoking.

I recommend a daily pledge of Nope and mean it. Just pledge first thing in the morning and then hold onto that tenaciously until you do the same again the next day. Don't get too far ahead of yourself, but if you can string those together one after another you will be successful.

I see from your blog that you have a lot going on in your life at the moment. Don't allow yourself to use that as an excuse or a get out. You want to do this for you, nobody else. If you can work out the reasons for that, it could be worth noting them down in the pre-respond topic in the SOS forum.

Remember you have dozens of people on your side here to help you both on the bad days, but also to help you celebrate the good. Stay close, read, post, hopefully have a bit of fun while you are here. It's in your power to do this!

Catch you around.

Edited by Sslip
  • Like 1

I found that patches helped me without feeling like I had to quit something later. NRT is helpful but I needed other supports along with a big bucketload of desire to quit. 

I used gum gum but was disappointed later to find I was obsessively chewing it when stressed with no relief. This was a little while after I had quit. I regretted using it since I felt like I had to go through withdrawal again to stop it. This is just my experience. I’m not telling others what to do since it is preferable to smoking. 

You can quit no matter what other problems/challenges you have. Remember this because you need to know you. And I it. Smoking gives us the false message that we need it and can’t stop it but we can stop it. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for you wonderful support, comments and advice. 

Today is my quit date, so I will be here a lot. The one thing I find much comfort in is the support of groups and forums. I am a member of another forum and have been for 10 years now. They are like my family. So I will absolutely be reaching out here as my new "Smoke Free Life" starts to unfold. 

I have taken the time to comment back to each of you and to put in bold some of your "golden nuggets" that you have shared with me so that I can pop back on to this post and quickly get a refocus at times when it is needed. Thank you all for your support. 

Weegie congratulations on your 148 day quite, hum I guess it is 150 days today...almost half a year--- WTG, you rock! I will focus on my bodies recovery from this additions. 

reciprocity -- Phew--Self Discipline I have none....but in reflection I am sure it boils down to lack of Self Confidence which Smoking has been a major player in my lack of Self Confidence. Actually in just another moment of reflection as I am writing this, I do have Self Discipline but I have a hard time maintaining it. So mental note to figure out how to start to maintain Self Discipline. 

jillar -- Thank you for your support.... ONWARD TO A NEW LIFE FOR ME--no size fits all

Doreensfree--Thank you for your support.....1st Step is to Believe in yourself

notsmokinjo--Congrats on 4 months smoke free WTG!!! Currently I am only taking meds as needed. I stopped taking antidepressant in January. Everyday when I would wake up my first thought was how I could not wait to get the day over with so I could get back in bed. So I had to stop taking them. Thanks for sharing your experience with using "the gum". Set a limit on amount of gum per day, focus on 24 hours smoke free. 

Sazerac--I can feel your belief in me when I read your post....thank you...Good, Strong, Sturdy--confidence built through freedom from "The Beast"

beazel--Thanks for the encouragement, and I am thankful to have this community to come back to. Build the relationship 

Sslip--Thanks for the encouragement and support. I will remember to pledge daily, not allow my current life situations to sabotage my quit. remember to do it for me so that I may take control of my life, and lean on my community here for the ups and downs.

Giveintowin -- Thanks for sharing you experience. I am a bit fearful about using the gum as that well be yet another hurdle to over come. But I have bought some and will use it. I have been using during the day, as I can not smoke between 7:15 and 4:15 while at work. I only started using during the work day about 6 weeks ago. It has helped, prior to using the gum I would find some reason to have to leave campus during my planning period to smoke. But now I do not have to. Smoking gives us the false message that we need it and can’t stop it but we can stop it. 

Edited by marie-quit
  • Like 1

Marie thats a great idea to stay close to the board. It makes allll the difference communicating with people who understand what youre going through! Hey ive just checked my app im actually day 148 today woops! But the positive in that, is that it really does get easier and im no longer counting the days. I just have a simple nhs app but it counts my days and money saved. And has some words of encouragement. 

• Like 2

Congrats on day 1 Marie.  I too quit using Nico Gum.  I found it very helpful because not only was I addicted to the Nico...I was addicted to the motion of it.  The hand to mouth part.  I found that if I chewed the gum it still gave me something to do.  I did not even take it the whole time...nor did I reduce my dosage...or ween myself down.  I found it easy to get off of.  My aunt on the other hand is still chewing the NIco gum after many many (probably 7) years ago quit.  Just be careful not to take it too long.  The emotions/anxiety etc.. I would like to suggest some deep breathing exercises.  There are several different routines you can use.  Deep breathing led me to meditation which has been a game changer for me in my life.  I can help if you  would like.

Whatever you do... don't smoke... be a winner.  Keep on keepin on.

• Like 2