Tips to make quitting easier

Whispers

On 5/23/2018 at 7:14 AM, babs609 said:

A drop in your blood sugar level can trigger off some rather unpleasant withdrawals symptoms. This is because while you are smoking the nicotine that your body gets plays a vital role in the release of stored sugars and fats that your body needs for energy, while also inhibiting the natural use of insulin. However, once you stop smoking, your body would need to start controlling these aspects on its own.

. Eating plenty of fruit and drinking plenty of fruit juice is a good way to keep your blood sugar levels in check.

OK... for those diet conscious with their quits... eat strawberries, they are natural appetite suppressants but give you that nice hit of sugar you BSL (blood sugar level) needs, and they taste good.... another good alternative is water melon... the sugar his is spot on but the water content is also really high which fills you up. Another surprisingly good option is carrot sticks and even celery sticks... both (particularly carrots) are high in sugar so hit the BSL brief, both are not super quick to eat so fill the distract the crave brief, both are healthy, and both actually take about an equivalent number of calories to consume and process as you actually get from them.

• Like 4

Been thinking about this... and here is a tip that I didn't realise the significance of early on.... Don't stress if your quit is different to someone else ... everyone's quit is different.

Early on I wasted energy stressing over the fact that my quit was different to other peoples quits.... worrying that what I was feeling and experiencing wasn't the same as someone else. Or that what others were saying would help didn't help me. Its simple, we are all different. We are all individuals. Some of my experiences with quitting may have mirrored tom's and some may have mirrored harry's but none of it was like dick's... so what. No one ever, is going to have exactly the same experience as you. Just because their experience is completely different to yours doesn't mean they will succeed and you wont or vice versa.

We are all on the same journey, just some of us are wearing runners and some are wearing heels... so what... the thing is it doesn't matter how we get there, on the nice smooth flat path or the pot hole riddled barely visible track or completely cross country... it doesn't matter, just as long as we all get there. The shear beauty of the The QT (especially with all the wonderful Old Phartes who are still hear to help the newbies) if someone here hasn't been through what you are currently experiencing, they know the story of someone else who has... you are not alone, you may be having different journeys but you are not doing it alone. So some lucky buggers have it nice and easy, some of us get periods of both and some of us have to claw our way to freedom inch by inch... what we all are is QUIT.... what we all share is that we are former smokers.

So don't worry if Sally posts about how easy peasy quitting is... because that lucky b1tch is having an easy time, but you know what, she might have the worst foot odour on earth or might not be able to cook a meal that even a half starved dog would eat... basically be happy for Sally cos she is free of nicotine but don't compare your quit to her or to tom or dick or harry because their quit is not yours... your quit is what it is and its a thing of beauty and something to be proud of weather it is easy, hard or somewhere in between... own it just how it is and rejoice in its very existence, warts and all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jetblack said:

What if someone wanted their quit to be harder? What if someone wanted to struggle MORE?

Would this someone also be excited by whips and chains?... there are places they can go to get those needs fulfilled. ;)

• Haha 3

On 3/26/2018 at 2:02 PM, Whispers said:

Notice what makes you feel like smoking so that you can avoid those situations or change your routine.

Today, it's breathing. Just breathing makes me feel like smoking. Whispers, I've tried really hard to avoid breathing, but I just can't do it.

:)

I'm in a day planned with basic errands to keep me occupied and this is supposed to focus on something other than smoking. This is my plan. I just got back from grocery shopping. Had a light snack to keep my blood sugar even. Now going to buy a cheap planter with a gift card someone gave me for mother's day. And all the while, I'm craving a cigarette.

• Haha 2

Kate, despite the advice Whispers has given, please continue to breathe. It's not to be taken too literally if it puts you in harms way ;)

I understand the kind of times you are talking about and there will be ups and downs, but you are right in the thick of it at the moment. It will get better, we  can promise you that. 

You are doing fantastically well. 

Edited by Sslip
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Been thinking about this... and here is a tip that I didn't realise the significance of early on.... Don't stress if your quit is different to someone else ... everyone's quit is different.

Early on I wasted energy stressing over the fact that my quit was different to other peoples quits.... worrying that what I was feeling and experiencing wasn't the same as someone else. Or that what others were saying would help didn't help me. Its simple, we are all different. We are all individuals. Some of my experiences with quitting may have mirrored tom's and some may have mirrored harry's but none of it was like dick's... so what. No one ever, is going to have exactly the same experience as you. Just because their experience is completely different to yours doesn't mean they will succeed and you wont or vice versa.

We are all on the same journey, just some of us are wearing runners and some are wearing heels... so what... the thing is it doesn't matter how we get there, on the nice smooth flat path or the pot hole riddled barely visible track or completely cross country... it doesn't matter, just as long as we all get there. The shear beauty of the The QT (especially with all the wonderful Old Phartes who are still hear to help the newbies) if someone here hasn't been through what you are currently experiencing, they know the story of someone else who has... you are not alone, you may be having different journeys but you are not doing it alone. So some lucky buggers have it nice and easy, some of us get periods of both and some of us have to claw our way to freedom inch by inch... what we all are is QUIT.... what we all share is that we are former smokers.

So don't worry if Sally posts about how easy peasy quitting is... because that lucky b1tch is having an easy time, but you know what, she might have the worst foot odour on earth or might not be able to cook a meal that even a half starved dog would eat... basically be happy for Sally cos she is free of nicotine but don't compare your quit to her or to tom or dick or harry because their quit is not yours... your quit is what it is and its a thing of beauty and something to be proud of weather it is easy, hard or somewhere in between... own it just how it is and rejoice in its very existence, warts and all.

Bravo jo..bravo. 

5 hours ago, Kate18 said:

Today, it's breathing. Just breathing makes me feel like smoking. Whispers, I've tried really hard to avoid breathing, but I just can't do it.

:)

I'm in a day planned with basic errands to keep me occupied and this is supposed to focus on something other than smoking. This is my plan. I just got back from grocery shopping. Had a light snack to keep my blood sugar even. Now going to buy a cheap planter with a gift card someone gave me for mother's day. And all the while, I'm craving a cigarette.

Craving a cigarette is fine and it is normal in the early stage of your quit. Smoking one is not OK.

You are in control of the outcome always :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Craving a cigarette is fine and it is normal in the early stage of your quit. Smoking one is not OK.

You are in control of the outcome always :)

This is a keeper. I am going  to enlarge and post with my other  sayings. This is so true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1