Tips to make quitting easier

Whispers

Find your reasons. Make a list of your reasons for quitting and read it often.

Pick a quit date. Choose a day that works for you and gives you time to prepare. Throw out all of your cigarettes beforehand, and get rid of ashtrays and lighters.

Get support and encouragement. Tell your family, friends and coworkers that you are quitting and ask for their support.

Notice what triggers cravings. Alcohol, coffee, stress, and being around others who smoke can all trigger cravings. Notice what makes you feel like smoking so that you can avoid those situations or change your routine.

Keep trying. It take almost everyone multiple tries to quit smoking, so don’t be afraid to try again. You haven’t failed – you learned more about your triggers. Throw out your cigarettes and start again.

Edited by Whispers
  • Like 8

May I just add that finding a support group like this is a huge advantage too.

I do not like or am I apart of any social media crap on the internet which is why I was surprised at how helpful it was to join a "quit smoking" support group. I was literally shocked at what an important part if played in my own quit. That's if you participate regularly in it. Even if that's just posting a NOPE every day. The more you give ...... the more you receive back it seems. It won't make you quit but if you are truly committed to quitting, interacting with other serious quitters is really helpful!!

• Like 7

I quit spur of the moment this time for the first time. So a spur of the moment quit can go well too. 

I also did not avoid triggers ie booze or being round smokers and overcame those hard triggers early on now they are not an issue at all and tbh conquering them quickly ive still been able to enjoy myself whilst quitting. But horses for courses i know some will jump down my throat for saying drink early on. But i did and im doing brilliant. Just saying you can choose to avoid or you can choose to comfront. You know you and whether you are strong enough and whether you really want to quit or not. If you really want to quit, nothing gets in the way. Not in my way anyway. 

• Like 4

^^^ Drink did not affect me negatively either so, you're not alone. This was my first quit attempt too so, yes - it can happen if it is important enough to you to never smoke again :) And yes; mine to was spur of the moment - no advance planning. Anything is possible if you just stay committed!!

• Like 4

So like Reci I don't do social media so joining an online support group was an eye opener. However this is not my first quit, or my most successful time wise but it feels different this time.

Now I couldn't avoid my triggers becsysr I decided to quit mid softball season and my other triggers are stress and emotion based, so far I've battled through it but I can honestly say without over there and now here it wouldn't have happened. I'm kinda competitive (sure that's a surprise) and having to be accountable to everyone here if I tossed my quit is a pretty big motivator, I need that accountability. Also, saying NOPE publicly is like writing it in blood for me... I have given my word in front of everyone, that mean s shlt. But its also having friends and aquaintences who know me well enough to know that sometimes I need a laugh, and sometimes I need to be forced to do the feely shlt and sometimes I need a kick up the ar5e and a good old "don't fvckin smoke".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Whispers said:

@Weegie, if drinking isnt/wasnt a trigger drink drink drink! It was for me and i didnt drink for my first year of being a quitter. How i celebrated 1 year was i drank and to my surprise i didnt have the crave/urge for a smoke at all...

I know ................ I got that moment on film :15_yum:

2ise1l1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great topic Whispers.

These things made my quit easier, for sure.

I quit on a whim, a challenge to myself.

Education.  

Thanks to Joel, this site and lurking around the sphere, 

I learned everything I could about addiction.

Information is Big Power and I felt sufficiently armed to quit smoking.

Rewards.

Not only does rewarding yourself help to re-wire your brain receptors,

treating yourself as well you possibly can makes life so nice.

A little spoiling goes a long way,  especially during rugged transitions.

Changing Focus.

It took some doing but, s l o w l y,

when junkie thoughts would start to drag me down, 

I began to train myself to look at something beautiful or think of beauty in some way.

The concept of H.A.L.T.

(are you hungry, angry, lonesome, tired).

Nine times out of ten, smokey thoughts weren't about nicotine at all,

it was my body (poor thing) hollering at me to do something life sustaining for it.

When I look back at my quit, I could have made it a lot easier on myself

had I worked on Changing Focus sooner and with more diligence.

For a while, I was just a real spoiled brat with way too many whines.

Addiction is such a whiny business, innit.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

Great topic Whispers.

These things made my quit easier, for sure.

I quit on a whim, a challenge to myself.

Education.  

Thanks to Joel, this site and lurking around the sphere, 

I learned everything I could about addiction.

Information is Big Power and I felt sufficiently armed to quit smoking.

Rewards.

Not only does rewarding yourself help to re-wire your brain receptors,

treating yourself as well you possibly can makes life so nice.

A little spoiling goes a long way,  especially during rugged transitions.

Changing Focus.

It took some doing but, s l o w l y,

when junkie thoughts would start to drag me down, 

I began to train myself to look at something beautiful or think of beauty in some way.

The concept of H.A.L.T.

(are you hungry, angry, lonesome, tired).

Nine times out of ten, smokey thoughts weren't about nicotine at all,

it was my body (poor thing) hollering at me to do something life sustaining for it.

When I look back at my quit, I could have made it a lot easier on myself

had I worked on Changing Focus sooner and with more diligence.

For a while, I was just a real spoiled brat with way too many whines.

Addiction is such a whiny business, innit.

:101_point_up::91_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Whispers said:

Find your reasons. Make a list of your reasons for quitting and read it often.

I made new lists regularly during the early days of my quit.  I found that the process of writing my reasons was beneficial.

Downright therapeutic even.

• Like 3

Kinda Like @Sazerac, I have a 3 point quit plan:

1) Educate myself about my addiction. Sure, I knew I was a "nicotine addict", and that's why I kept smoking. But, it was more of a "Captain Obvious" kind of knowledge. So, I read as much as I could. I read the QuitGuide (link at the bottom of this page). I took the free online course (they call it a course, but there's no grades or tests!) at: www.quitsmokingonline.com I also found an online copy of Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" in PDF format and read it.

2) Communicate about my quit. Previous quits, only my immediate family and a couple of folks at work that I would previously go for smoke breaks with knew about my quit. This time, EVERYONE knows. I told my entire organization at work. I notified my family Facebook group. I had previously logged on to QuitNet to avoid a smoking surcharge on my health insurance, but never posted or asked for help. Obviously, now I'm doing a bit more than that. (I am obviously a member of a couple of other organizations as well)

3) Plan.  Trusting my addict brain to “do the right thing “ in the face of a full-on craving is a poor idea.  Have a “quit kit” handy...things that help you overcome the craving short-term. Things like gum, cinnamon sticks, straws, hard candy...whatever works for you.

• Like 5

Must admit, I had no plan. Just took it a day at a time and refused to give in to the cravings to smoke because I knew if I did, I would be forever a smoker and I didn't want that!! Once things smoothed out I just dealt with the mild cravings or thoughts about smoking in the same manner - just ignored them until my mind focused on something else. Still works that way only the thoughts of smoking are fewer and further between and milder than they once were. Hardly a bother at this point - more of just an annoyance. Like, OMG, you're still here and trying to suggest I smoke again - LOL!!

• Like 6

Just to add to all the great points already mentioned, I had to find something to do with all the extra time during the day that I used to devote to smoking,

At first I spent that time on quit smoking forums. Everytime I wanted to smoke I'd go and read about quitting or post about my trials and tribulations. I really do think the education and support online made the difference between my successful quit and all my prior failures.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, Whispers said:

Notice what triggers cravings. ... Notice what makes you feel like smoking so that you can avoid those situations or change your routine.

Everything.  Literally everything.  LOL!  Waking up.  Coffee.  Eating.  Driving.  Working. Drinking.  Television.  Laughing.  Crying.  Stressful situations.  Fun situations.  Hugs.  If I'm to change my routine, then I'm with Rusty... a three-month medically-induced coma sounds pretty good right about now.  LOL!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TravellingSunny said:

Everything.  Literally everything.  LOL!  Waking up.  Coffee.  Eating.  Driving.  Working. Drinking.  Television.  Laughing.  Crying.  Stressful situations.  Fun situations.  Hugs.  If I'm to change my routine, then I'm with Rusty... a three-month medically-induced coma sounds pretty good right about now.  LOL!

We all at one time felt that way, we thought it was our friend. That friend is a "toxic" friend! When i was bored, felt anxious/excited or angry was the big reasons for me... Deep breaths and good old exercise outside of a straw have been keys for me

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TravellingSunny said:

We have to learn to do all these things without our crutch...it gets easier with time...I was like a toddler learning things for the first time..

I didn't know how to be a adult with out my !!!friend !!!....life as a adult smoke free is far better...just angry I waited 52 years to find this out..

It will get better ...

• Like 5

When dealing with triggers and cravings, begin with everyday things you can't avoid - yes, I'm talking about things like eating or sleeping, really - and keep in mind you can't avoid everything forever but you do can take it easy (easier? easy-ish?) for a while. Instead of thinking of every single situation that may (or may not) make you crave in the future, just deal with them as isolated items, just like quitting is something you do a day at a time.

"I just had my lunch and I won't smoke."

"I finished this assignment without a smoke break."

"I just got here without having a cigarette by the door"

"I went to my favorite pub and didn't leave my seat to smoke outside not even once."

And so on. Thinking about every single thing you'll face for the rest of your life forever is just overwhelming and you'll probably feel miserable instead of motivated.

• Like 3

As our friend, The Sarge, used to say,

"Embrace

The

Suck"

I took that to mean, yes, it may be as grimy as it gets but,  bring it friggin on !

I am going to live through it.

I am going to succeed.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

A drop in your blood sugar level can trigger off some rather unpleasant withdrawals symptoms. This is because while you are smoking the nicotine that your body gets plays a vital role in the release of stored sugars and fats that your body needs for energy, while also inhibiting the natural use of insulin. However, once you stop smoking, your body would need to start controlling these aspects on its own.

. Eating plenty of fruit and drinking plenty of fruit juice is a good way to keep your blood sugar levels in check.

• Like 5

Since I don't do social media I had never been a part of a support group before quitting. So when I quit I would Google the recovery symptoms I was going thru and it would always lead me to my message board. I lurked there for almost three weeks reading before I got the nerve to join from someone who was posting an SOS. 

I can say without a doubt that the online support is what kept me quit. Just like others above, I couldn't bear to have to tell these great people that I had failed. So I NOPED daily, read, supported, celebrated and socialized for the whole year that I had pledged for. 

Now I stay in hopes of paying it forward like so many had done for me :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1