The 7 hardest addictions to quit...2017 psychology today

7 Cocaine

6 Alcohol

5 Valium

4 Heroin

3 Cigarettes

2 Potato Chips

1 LOVE

1 and 2 are not so bad. The rest..hmmmm.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/addiction-in-society/200812/the-7-hardest-addictions-quit-love-is-the-worst

Edited by stzr500
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So because of its relevance love is most addictive.. weird way to look at it, but whatever.

Love is a way of life. Without it there wouldn’t be any addictions.

Some deep shit right there...

Edited by Octain
  • Like 1

let me let a little more insight on the potato chip addiction. If you read the article which i gave the link to it's not just about potato chips..it's using them as a reference to fatty and processed foods which America is the world leader in consumption.

• Like 2

They say cigarettes are harder to quit than cocaine and heroin? We have all heard that before. I do not know, I have never tried either.

However -

Why is it the image we see on TV or PSA's or hearsay about someone withdrawing from cocaine or heroin looks like a horror scene from a movie complete with screaming, raging, thrashing, flopping around on the floor like a Pentecostal church member, being shot with tranquilizers but still acting like they are being possessed by the devil...

And yet, nicotine/cigarettes are HARDER to break than that?

The worst of my own withdrawals came at three months and even at that point, it was nothing more than irritability and wanting to shit-slap someone. No screaming, thrashing, acting like that little girl on The Exorcist... 

Someone on this forum said they might be acting like cigarette quitting is worse than hard drugs because of companies trying to sell crap like patches, chantix, etc.

Reci, yeah it is bizarre. But sometimes that is the image the media tries to sell about quitting nicotine.

Let me be the first to admit - if all that insanity was involved in W/D, I would just assume smoke the god damn things instead of go thru all that.

23 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I can't imagine that quitting Heroin is easier than quitting smoking. Same as you said, I never did any thrashing around or puking my guts out or hallucinating when I quit smoking. That's just bizarre!! 

Neither did I but I did(still do) pitch little “bitch fits”. Had fits like a little bitch LOL. 

Which to the unsuspecting may seem as you describe. :)

I'm surprised I haven't been arrested for some of the "bitch-fits" I had early on in my quit. My whole 1st year I was pretty quick to get ugly in my attitude toward almost everything & everyone. Now I'm back to my sweet old self :15_yum:

• Like 1

On March 26, 2018 at 6:25 PM, reciprocity said:

I can't imagine that quitting Heroin is easier than quitting smoking. Same as you said, I never did any thrashing around or puking my guts out or hallucinating when I quit smoking. That's just bizarre!! 

It makes sense to me that quitting heroin would be easier than quitting smoking, not easy but possibly easier. For one thing, most people aren't injecting or snorting heroin with the same frequency than smoking. For the vast majority, it's not an integral part of their everyday life,. There's also more shame and it disrupts your life in more obvious ways than smoking.  Smoking kills you and is a detriment to your livelihood in more of an insidious way, it's easier to justify smoking and the stigma is nothing compared to heroin use.  I believe the detox is far more intense but once that's over yes, there are temptations to pick up like any other addiction but that aspect of it is and the psychological addiction to nicotine is stronger. Addictions are all tough to break away from so congratulations to any and all who have beaten one or more. You... WE are all warriors!

• Thanks 2

I think the only reason nicotine MIGHT be harder to break than cocaine heroin or whatever is cause nicotine is readily available and totally legal.

Not like you have to watch out for cops if you have tobacco in your possession.

So how come then when you see on TV about certain types of addicts -

Tobacco users are usually everyday clean cut types.

Alcoholics are sloshing slobs.

Other drug addicts are missing 1/2 their teeth and are generally about as gross as a typical Walmart customer?

Yet they want to put smokers in the same group as some meth or heroin addict? Fcuk them.