Losing the quit weight

Jenny

The Sarge can lose 4 in one run (just a couple hours) - mostly water but on a long 20+ miler can lose a pound of actual weight + 2 or 3 in water/sweat.

Fun Fact: The average person craps 2 pounds a day.

4-ish pound swing in a day ain't out of the realm of "normal"

Hahahahah!!! who do you suppose got to measure that????

And yes Nancy, I too can fluctuate up to 5 pounds depending on when I weigh myself. For the most part I always way my self around 11:00am. I am always around 182 pounds, if I weigh in at closer to 185 then I will do a little more cardio the next day.... If I weigh in under 180 then I eat more that day. I fluctuate back and forth like a pendulum but it is currentlly working for me this way.

All I know at the minute is its Easter and there is way too much chocolate about, all within hand grabbing distance, I have been very good up to now, eating well, I exercise every night for 40 mins apart from a Saturday which maintains me, I've put on a little but am ok with that, once the better weather has arrived for good it will be back to walking for me :lol:

One good thing about being gluten, soy and corn free is that most of the chocholates and other treats that are being spread around this time of year I am unable to eat. I have not eaten a peanut in 3 or more years now, because at one point I thought they were what I was alergic to. I never really ate a lot of sweets before, but I have been thinking an awful lot about a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup!!

• 4 years later...

I never used weight gain as an excuse to not quit smoking.  I figured I would gain around 10lbs. Ha! Hahahahahahahaha!!!   More like 30lbs.  It is unbelievable!  Things started hurting~ like my ankles and knees.  My clothes no longer fit. Knowing this~ would I still quit? 

You bet!!  I’m fat not stupid.  About 2 months ago I started taking a water aerobics class 3 times a week.  Each class is about an hour.  I figure, do something easy on my joints until some weight comes off - then back to walking or hiking! Oh how I miss hiking!   No weight has really come off from that but I do notice my arms and legs are more toned.  This week I decided to really modify my diet.  Quit sugar.  Dang this is tough.  Safe to say my body is going through withdrawal.   My coffee tastes gross without some sugar in it.  Stevia- yuck!  For now, it is better than black coffee. 

I keep thinking about my Quit.  This final quit I did it cold turkey.  It sucked in the beginning but I made it through.  I stayed busy, I read & posted at another forum quite often.   Apparently, I ate a ton.  

For newbies, lurkers - continue with your most precious quit.  It is #1 priority.  Protect it at all cost.  If that means eating a bag of potato chips and drinking a Coke- ok!  Once you are comfortable in your quit, address the weight gain, if any.

i was comfortable in my quit around the 1 year mark.  I continued to overeat.  Not to combat a craving or trigger. I just ate. Maybe to fill a void? To bring me pleasure during a sad/stressful part of life.  Who knows...

This week I changed my eating completely.   It is another way to take control and live the healthier life I desire.   

I may jiggle when I wiggle but I don’t smoke. Hallelujah!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Well done...!!!.... Quitting is the most wonderful thing you can do for your health...

Dying with a smoke relating illness ,is more distressing than putting on some pounds...

Most folks lose the extra weight once they are comfortable in thier quit....

This is why we say quitting smoking is a journey....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lust4Life said:

This week I decided to really modify my diet.  Quit sugar.  Dang this is tough.  Safe to say my body is going through withdrawal.   My coffee tastes gross without some sugar in it.  Stevia- yuck!  For now, it is better than black coffee. 

I quit sugar about a month ago.  The results have been incredible.  It started as an experiment to see how sugar was affecting moods due to insulin spikes from the sugar.  I am a junk food junkie and always have been.  My moods have been even-Steven and I'm not hungry all of the time likI used to be.  There are some very good scientific date about refined sugar the effects it has on our appetites.  I had never heard of restricted eating before but since I cut out sugar, after about two weeks I noticed that I was no longer hunger after 4 or 5 PM and didn't have to eat for the rest of the night.  I was getting all of my calories within a 12 hr or so window.  It's all very interesting so continued to learn about it but what's more, I lost 15 lbs of fat, not muscle but fat, without changing a single thing except cutting out sugar.  By cutting out sugar I mean barely eating any at all.  Sweets obviously went out the window but the sugar included in every food that I ate accounted for 4-8 grams of sugar per day - total.  Within this month, I never went above 20 grams and there were two days that I ate close to 20 grams of sugar, but only those 2 days.

This is not something that I'll continue to control so tightly but to be honest, I don't crave sugar anymore and I don't like how I feel when I get a sugar rush.  I like not being hungry all of the time and it's comforting to know that if I'm in a situation where I can't eat, I'll be fine and still be able to focus.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks MarylandQuitter- it is good to read another’s perspective and experience with eliminating sugar. Congratulations to you!!  Like you, I don’t plan on sustaining  this strict control forever- I think it is needed to reset my body, get those cravings for sugar & starchy carbohydrates under control. 

• Like 1

The only food that I truly miss is PP&J.  So freaking good!!  The Smuckers Natural Strawberry is pretty good, I buy it for my daughter and it doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup; something I refuse to let either of us eat, if can help it.  My month isn't quite up yet but once it is, PP&J is my reward.  Forget the Ben & Jerry's, give me a PP&J!  :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MarylandQuitter said:

The only food that I truly miss is PP&J.  So freaking good!!  The Smuckers Natural Strawberry is pretty good, I buy it for my daughter and it doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup; something I refuse to let either of us eat, if can help it.  My month isn't quite up yet but once it is, PP&J is my reward.  Forget the Ben & Jerry's, give me a PP&J!  :)

PP+ J....??????

Sounds yum ..but no idea what it is....I'm thinking Ice cream...

• Like 1

Bye bye sugar = bye bye 9 pounds! Worked through the sugar cravings  using memories of nicotine withdrawal— this too shall pass. And the cravings finally did.  I fancy savory over sweet.  Looking forward to having all of this under control come fall & all the holidays! 

• Like 4

On 6/1/2018 at 1:46 AM, Lust4Life said:

I figured I would gain around 10lbs. Ha! Hahahahahahahaha!!!   More like 30lbs.  It is unbelievable!  Things started hurting~ like my ankles and knees.  My clothes no longer fit. Knowing this~ would I still quit? 

Same here Lust4Life in my 10 month quit I have put on 32lb and yep my feet ankles and knees all hurt and I have realised that I'm still feeding my face with sweet rubbish as and when I feel like it... I'm still seeing it as a wee treat for doing so well when truth be told I don't have any craves I'm way, way past that, merely fleeting notions. I know it's all in my mind now. Time to reset my thinking because before I quit I never had a sweet tooth and im sure i can get back to that..

Not sure I'm ready to quit sugar all together yet though..☺

Just like you, would I still have quit ..??

Hell yeah.. ?all that's needed is a wee bit of self control from me .. 

• Like 4