weightloss tips please!

I need help in a big way. I am very unhappy carrying extra weight, I get it's bad to admit but I am massively vain!  So I don't care what it take anymore, I need your best tips to shift a few pounds.  Exercise/diet ideas. x

• Like 1

At the risk of tmi, I am doing the more sex, every night, poor blokes knackered!! I also worked out, I'm still lardee. Just ordered that Jillian 30 day shred thing...poor Chris needs a break ;)  I can't believe I did that much (all inclusive) and lost 1 pesky lb (that pesky is abridged). Meh!

• Like 4

At the risk of tmi, I am doing the more sex, every night, poor blokes knackered!! I also worked out, I'm still lardee. Just ordered that Jillian 30 day shred thing...poor Chris needs a break ;)  I can't believe I did that much (all inclusive) and lost 1 pesky lb (that pesky is abridged). Meh!

LMAO!!  You have earned your weightloss and more!! 

• Like 1

Eat less.

Seriously.

For The Sarge - it's 95% kitchen and 5% treadmill/gym.

You can wipe out an entire day's gym with a single snack. The eating is far, far more important than the exercise. You can exercise for 2 solid hours and lose 500 calories or so ... only to replace it (all and then some) with a single coffee "treat" that "you deserve" because you just worked out.

The Sarge knows he's losing weight if he's hungry and his belly is growling. If no noise from the belly on a regular basis throughout the day, he's probably not losing weight.

It's all about discomfort. The more discomfort you can take, the faster you'll lose the weight. The less you like being uncomfortable and hungry, the slower you will lose the weight or the more quickly you will gain it back.

... But no one ever likes Sarge's advice on this topic.

Easy Peasy

• Like 2

I have to agree with the Sarge on this one.  I'm dieting myself right now and the weeks I have success at the weigh in are the weeks in which I was hungry.  Just a little hungry is what makes the difference. I wish it was not so, but it does appear to be.  :)

• Like 1

500 calorie deficit a day = 1 pound per week weight loss

Use the Harris Benedict equation and calculate your daily needs for weight loss

Track your eating/caloric intake with a free app

Drink water and lots of it

Watch the pounds drop

Lucky Bar Steward! :wacko:

OK - seriously?

1. My Fitness Pal. Takes a week or so to get used to - but you can literally track everything that you eat - and sync across all devices. Look me up ;)

2. Fitbit. Little bracelet - measures your steps. Look me up ;)

3. MFP will measure your intake. Fitbit will report your burn to MFP. You set your target and MFP will tell you your allowance for the day. So - as an example, a big work day, I am allowed a lettuce leaf and can sniff a piece of toast - as I am on my arse all day. On a golf day - I am likely to cover 8/9 miles on foot. My calorie allowance includes a small child. :o

Therefore - I need more golf, less work.

Purely for my health... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

For me it's all about what I'm eating and portions.  I eat MUCH smaller and more frequently or.my metabolism shuts down.  During the week I've cut.out sugars and I don't snack (unless.i need a after exercise energy boost) especially at night.  I eat good natural foods, stay away from processed stuff and if I'm unsure of portion size I actually measure it.  I make sure to work out at.least 5.days a week.  I also have one cheat day on the weekend and eat what I want.  I don't over eat or.go.crazy but if I want biscuits and gravy for breakfast, I make it.  I'm not out to be miserable and I love me some good comfort.food.   This is what works for my body though, it might be different for you.  You just need to.find what works for you.  Be prepared.for.it.to take a little time before you fall into a good routine that produces results.

• Like 2

Hey, Marti, I'm in the same boat. REALLY unhappy with weight gain, 6 pounds, less than I feared, but I started with too many pounds and the years of nicotine did something to my metabolism so I am having to exercise more and eat less than in the past to lose anything. . .it's so frustrating. Nights are where I do the damage; I have not trained myself to put up with the "discomfort" of being mildly hungry. Or any hungry. And, I eat to replace smoking, I think, or some neurotic reason. Doesn't matter, really; I usually am not eating out of hunger.

I'm tired when I get home from work. No energy, and the idea of jogging around the house or through the pasture makes me fatigued from the thought alone. . .Hummus was a great idea for awhile, but now, just STOP eating is the goal for the evenings. Sigh.

I really, really want some chips about now. Oh, yeah. It's evening. Ok. It's just for tonight. I'm going to pop some popcorn, no butter. Yech. I need bacon.

You have to find what works for you......everyone is different men tend to lose weight easier than woman(truth) but it does not need to be uncomfortable (that is no way to live) Watch your portions and eliminate some foods such as sugar filled sodas.........eats lots of veggies and some fruits........drink lots of water plus if you feel like you are hungry drink water first you might just be thirsty your body might be mixing up the signals.....move more walk, dance, anything really. Note that the goal should be about your health and how you feel not a number on a scale and heres a big one Patience....one must have patience......track your food honestly on an ap or on paper......I would try to keep the calorie count around 1500ish, the body does need fuel.......make sure that the fuel you put into your body is healthy and good for you......give yourself a cheat meal once a week .......it is a process and should be looked at like a lifestyle change and something that can be maintained 

I complain more than Aine does about the little fat roll I got going around the middle. Stupid metabolism. I used to eat a half dozen bavarian creme chocolate iced bismarks as a midmorning snak and cheer if I weighed over 132. Now I'm eating boiled eggs and the scale is showing 149. One more pound and I go ballistic...

and do what the sarge said - stop shoving calories into the piehole.

I don't see any weight gain in Aine either. B)

Hey Marti - like the others have said it is all about portion size and exercise. Try to eliminate / cut back on empty calories and move more. El Bandito suggested a fitbit and they are great - but any pedometer will do. In addition to "formal" exercise try to increase the incidental exercise as well - sounds silly but things like squats when you are doing the dishes do work - also aim for over 10000 steps. If you are doing other exercises - interval training is a great way to burn calories

My earlier responses have gone. I do think I take too many calories. However, since not smoking I get REALLY frikkin grumpy if I'm hungry! I don't think I ever ate healthy, I'm not even sure what that would look like - I guess probably what I feed the kids lol.

I am still unsure what sort of exercise would produce the best results. I find I now prefer the more chilled out ones like pilates and some tone based yoga. I can do leaping around but I struggle for energy after a day with the kids and only have an hour in the daytime to myself 4 days a week during the day. Then one lunacy exercise, this week was combat cardio. I got sick for now, but will go back to it as soon as I feel well.

Will look up that fitness app, thank you.

Thanks to those who've confirmed they feel the same. There is strength in knowing I'm not alone in these thoughts. I'd already stacked on some pounds before I quit, I had about 4 left to lose, only to whack on another 11lbs! I literally don't fit into my clothes!! My fella said he'd take me out and buy me some new bits, but I'm not frikkin barbie, I want my clothes to fit! So the last two days I have shaved a quarter of a portion off each meal. Hoping this helps. Maybe I ought to consider that little and often eating rather than meals?

I am still unsure what sort of exercise would produce the best results.

The Sarge says again: The kitchen, not the gym is where you will reap your rewards...

But to address the topic at hand: it's rather hard to burn more calories in less time than distance running. If by "best" you mean most efficient, then hands-down, it's running.

Easy Peasy

I've said it before the math is simple.

If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

If you consume more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.

Therefore burn more or consume less.

I complain more than Aine does about the little fat roll I got going around the middle. Stupid metabolism. I used to eat a half dozen bavarian creme chocolate iced bismarks as a midmorning snak and cheer if I weighed over 132. Now I'm eating boiled eggs and the scale is showing 149. One more pound and I go ballistic...

and do what the sarge said - stop shoving calories into the piehole.

I don't see any weight gain in Aine either. B)

Smart man.

skinnycookie_2.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

i am cutting out bread and pasta and am seeing quick results - its hard at first as bread is a staple trap that I fell into but once I got used to it after a few days its all good

I eat small amounts of rice but do eat potatoes - sweet potatoes are good_ I do not want to be a bean pole otherwise I would look like a 10 year old boy! lol

I have cut out cakes and biscuits too

will have to try the sex part now ;)

limiting my carbs and only brown rice, quinoa, ezeilkel bread, or rice pasta.  Bes sure to get enough protein or you lose muscle.    i get one cheat meal a week. (not a whole cheat day, just a meal)

Portion control

Lots of water

Don't drink calories

Eat slowly and mindfully.  When you are no longer hungry...stop.

Exercise at least 5 days a week.  Change it up..keep moving..have fun.  Go for hikes, bike ride, run.

Get a pedometer and start off with 10,000 steps as your goal.  Increase the goal as you progress.

I do so well until I got outto dinner lol. I am consistantly losing 1lb a week for watching my portion control at home. That's shocking isn't it, just by cutting down (no actual changes) the portion of what I eat I am losing weight.

I am not exercising much due to some chronic self harming lol. I get over enthusiastic and pull something haha, not sure this 30 day shred is for me.Spending mre time recovering than exercising now ;)